Purchasing a caravan can be a huge investment. You may be wondering how to best go about protecting your new van and whether or not purchasing a caravan tracker will actually help. So, are caravan trackers worth it?
Caravan trackers are worth purchasing because they aid in prevention of caravan theft. If your caravan is stolen, a tracker will help to locate your caravan quickly so that it can be recovered in a timely manner.
In the rest of this article, I will go on to discuss how caravan trackers work, what you can expect to pay for one, how long they last, and the best trackers currently on the market.
How Does a Caravan Tracker Work?
You may have heard a lot about caravan trackers, and your insurance company may even have requested you use one. So what makes a caravan tracker so effective and how exactly does this device work?
A caravan tracker works by transmitting data such as its location, date, time, and battery level when triggered using GPS satellites. Your tracker company will then receive this message and alert you of the emergency.
Using a GPS signal, the tracker is able to ascertain its location, date, and time. Then, it will transmit all of this information back to your tracker company. The caravan tracker can do this by using GPS signals from the GPS satellites currently in orbit.
The device will then begin transmitting that information to the company your device is subscribed to, and they will immediately alert you of the danger. From there, you will be able to contact the authorities and quickly recover your stolen van.
As you can see, a caravan tracker functions similarly to a smartphone, and many tracker devices have an app available for download so that you can regularly check in on your caravan from your phone.
A caravan with a functioning tracker is far more likely to be recovered quickly and thus resulting in fewer damages to your property.
How Much Does a Caravan Tracker Cost?
Cost is always a huge factor when deciding whether to use a caravan tracker for added protection against theft.
Unfortunately, not all GPS trackers are created equally, and you will have to weigh the pros and cons of owning one carefully.
So, just how much does it cost to purchase a tracker for your caravan?
Caravan trackers costs can range anywhere from £20 to upwards of £800 ($27-$1,083 USD). The cost of your tracker will be dependent on factors such as whether you’re purchasing or renting your tracker, which brand you decide to go with, and what your company’s annual fees are.
Each company comes with different perks or features, which is why it is vital to shop around and find a tracker that is best suited for your needs.
For example, many companies require a subscription for their caravan trackers. These subscriptions can range from around £12 ($16 USD) monthly, to £150 ($196 USD) annually. However, these prices depend on the specific company.
Additionally, some trackers don’t come with a company to manage your alarms and will simply notify you of emergencies via an app. This kind of caravan tracker can be preferable to some, while others prefer the added comfort of having a company to back them up should anything go wrong with their tracker.
How Long Does a Caravan Tracker Last?
Now that you know about the cost factors, you might be wondering how much time you can get out of a caravan tracker. So, how long will a tracker for your caravan last?
Caravan trackers can last up to 3 years when plugged into a battery that has a charge and is being maintained. When plugged into a battery without a steady power source, a tracker will typically last up to 6 months.
The industry standard for most caravan trackers on the market is about three years before needing replacement, though some may function longer. Each company may be different, so it is crucial to double-check when purchasing any tracker.
How long your tracker will last is greatly dependent on how well your van’s battery life is maintained. Caravan trackers are plugged into the battery and depend on that energy to function and transmit data in an emergency.
To get the most out of your caravan tracker, which will plug into your van’s battery, you will want to make sure that your battery remains charged. As with anything you plug into a battery, over time, your tracker can drain the battery.
If your caravan battery dies, your caravan tracker will no longer function.
Can Thieves Detect a Caravan Tracker?
Having a caravan tracker installed is a fantastic way to gain some peace of mind when it comes to your van, whether you store it at your home or in a storage yard.
But you still might find yourself wondering what the catch is and questioning if your caravan truly is safer for it. You also might be wondering whether thieves can tell if your van has a caravan tracker or not.
So can thieves detect the presence of a caravan tracker?
Thieves cannot detect a caravan tracker, but they can assume your van has one and use a signal blocker to cloak your tracker’s GPS signal until they are able to locate and remove the tracking device.
However, once your caravan trackers alarm has been triggered, a signal will have already been sent to your tracker company, and the thieves will have very little time to remove the device before law enforcement shows up.
Another tactic many thieves use to ascertain whether a caravan has a tracker or not is to steal the van and park it somewhere to see if the police show up to retrieve it.
Owning a caravan tracker definitely adds a level of security you will not have without one.
The Best Caravan Trackers
Now that I have gone over the most frequently asked questions about purchasing a caravan tracker, let’s look at the best brands on the market.
There are many different caravan trackers available for purchase. Still, not all trackers are created equal, so it is so important to carefully look over the features of each tracker and the company that is over that tracker.
So let’s dive in!
Phantom Pro 3
First, we will be taking a look at the Phantom Pro 3. This tracker is highly recommended by many.
Here is what you should know about the Phantom Pro 3 Caravan Tracker:
- The Pro 3 senses movement. This means the Phantom sends a report the second an attempt to access your van has been made.
- You will have access to the MyPhantom portal app. This app is where you can check in on your caravan and monitor things like battery charge, mileage charts, and battery history.
- You can monitor your caravan’s location at any time. The pro tracker device can pinpoint your van’s location within an 8-foot range.
- You will receive important alerts. The Phantom Pro 3 is programmed to send out alerts letting you know if your battery is running low or if someone attempted to access your caravan.
The Phantom Pro 3 costs £624 ($845 USD) annually or £898 ($1,216 USD) for a 5-year plan.
SmarTrack Caravan Protector
Next, we will be looking at the SmarTrack Caravan Protector. This device is slightly cheaper than others on the market and still has excellent reviews.
What you should know about the SmarTrack Caravan Protector:
- Smartrack Caravan tracker has been tested to the Thatcham S7 standard. This is the highest security rating a tracker can receive.
- It has an internal battery backup. The backup battery will kick in to help should your battery die so that your van is not left unprotected.
- Has the ability to monitor battery voltage levels and the ignition. When one of these factors changes, you will be contacted by Global Telemetrics immediately.
The SmarTrack Caravan Protector costs £149 ($201 USD) annually, and £499 ($675 USD) for a plan that will cover you as long as you own the caravan.
Tracker Retrieve Battery Powered
Next, we will take a look at the specs for the Tracker Retrieve Battery Powered Device.
What you should know about Trackers Retrieve caravan tracking device:
- Tracker has its own power source. This means that the device will not have to be hardwired into the caravan’s battery.
- The device was created not to drain your battery. The tracker will sleep until activated.
- Utilizes the same tracking technology as the UK police. Making for a quick recovery of your stolen van.
The Tracker Retrieve Battery Powered device costs £149.00 ($201 USD) for a yearly subscription and £649.00 ($878 USD) for a 5-year membership.
Last but not least, we have the Solid GPS tracker. This caravan tracker can be placed anywhere in your van and is quite simple to use.
What you should know about the Solid GPS tracker before purchasing:
- It doesn’t require any wiring. Some trackers require being hardwired into your van’s battery. With Solid GPS, you can hide the device anywhere you like on your caravan.
- Comes with a 12-month warranty. Should anything go wrong with your tracker, you will be able to get a functioning tracker sent to you.
- Comes with a rechargeable battery. The Solid GPS comes with a rechargeable battery and cable you can use to charge it.
- Has an easy-to-use app. The app is available for both IOS & Android. You can log in to check on your vehicle whenever you like with the app.
- Doesn’t lock you into a long-term contract. After purchasing the hardware out right, Solid GPS doesn’t lock you into a contract, and you can leave at any time.
The Solid GPS Costs £51.66 ($70 USD) annually after the hardware cost of £108.49 ($147 USD).