Vango and Kampa are two top European companies that specialize in camping materials. Both carry similar products and are highly-reputable brands. However, which one is better?
Vango is better than Kampa because, besides selling the same camping and awning supplies as Kampa, they also specialize in hiking gear, giving them a competitive edge. When it comes to tent and awning options, Vango provides a wider range of options and selections than Kampa.
This isn’t to say that Vango is the best choice in all instances. For example, Kampa is better suited to provide for large groups, such as family or friends, traveling together, or those participating in a more leisurely excursion. What makes Kampa unique is its special caravan supplies and accessories.
For this reason, they’d be the better choice if you’ll be on the road for a long time or you’re taking long camping adventures, and you still want modern-day commodities comparable to what you’d have at home.
For outdoor enthusiasts, groups, or individuals who prefer a simplistic approach, Vango is the way to go. Vango is generally the better brand because they cater to individuals and groups, a quality Kampa lacks. Within the product ranges that both Vango and Kampa carry, Vango offers much more variety.
Vango is also better for the more experienced outdoor enthusiast: braving elements, rough terrain, and living off the land. Dedicated and experienced hikers or campers will find that Vango’s products suit their unique needs best.
However, even amateur hikers and campers will find what they need using Vango’s products. With so many options, there’s a tent and sleeping arrangement to fit virtually anyone’s needs.
Although Vango relies on a minimalist approach, they won’t leave customers to fend for themselves. The brand offers a slew of tools such as awning additions, electric power hook-ups, and other accessories to make outdoor life comfortable. Vango is also an environmentally-friendly company that gives back to its community.
Who Are Vango?
Vango is a sustainable Scottish outdoor equipment company specializing in tents, awnings, air beds, sleeping bags, Trangia stoves, and other camping and trekking essentials. They make equipment for all campers ranging from experienced professionals to families enjoying casual getaways.
Vango was established in 1966 and has been at the forefront of innovative outdoor and camping technology. The company is eco-friendly and has several ongoing campaigns to continue supporting its environmental sustainability, including its new “Earth Collection,” a range consisting of sleeping bags, chairs, tents, and rucksacks made from recycled plastic.
Vango offers products that will help everyone enjoy being outside despite their outdoor experience. Their gear is designed by outdoor lovers, making their products incredibly user-friendly and practical.
Their product versatility has made them well-known in the outdoor adventure world, as they offer gear suitable for all experience levels, including outdoor professionals who trek in rough terrain and those relaxing under the stars for a night or two.
Additionally, Vango offers a refurbishing service for outdoor supplies called “Spares and Repairs Service.” The service repurposes any used outdoor materials you have so that you can get more use out of them. Whatever they can’t refurbish, they recycle and upcycle to reduce waste.
What Does Vango Make?
Vango makes equipment for hikers of all experience levels, from those planning long outdoor journeys to those going on a quick hike. They produce rucksacks, tents, cookware and food essentials, furniture, sleep essentials, awnings, and more.
Examples of some of their products are:
- Rucksacks: Rucksacks are bags that you can transport your outdoor needs in. Vango offers various rucksacks, including:
- Day sacks: Small, practical backpacks to hold your gear while traveling outdoors.
- Travel bags: Larger duffle bags and suitcases that can handle the elements.
- Trekking bags: Lightweight backpacks with innovative designs to help you trek long distances in comfort.
- Tents: Portable shelters to protect you from animals and the elements that are available in various sizes and designs. Vango sells the following types of tents:
- Adventure tents: Compact tents designed for those on the go.
- Family tents: Poled tents large enough to fit multiple people; built for durability.
- Air beam tents: Luxury tents trademarked by Vango that can accommodate numerous people and allow for easy set-up.
- Technical tents: Extremely lightweight; designed for intense adventures.
- Cookware and food essentials: Lightweight pots, pans, and utensils for cooking outside. Folding atom and gas stoves, Trangia stoves, liquid flasks, pre-cooked camping meals, dehydrated food, etc.
- Furniture: Outdoor tables and chair sets.
- Sleep essentials: Sleep mats, sleeping bags, air beds, camp beds, pillows, sleeping bag liners, etc.
- Awnings and accessories: Campervan awnings, caravan awnings, motorhome awnings. Over 12 types of awning accessories, including mesh doors; hitch covers; annexes; additional bedrooms (suitable for caravan, sports, and drive-away awnings as well as freestanding bedrooms); carpets, sun canopies, skyliners, and more.
- Air pumps: Pumps that enable you to inflate camping structures such as air beds, tents, and other inflatable furniture.
- Camp essentials and accessories: water coolers, tent cinema screens, torches, lights, lanterns, walking sticks, tableware, electric hook-ups, gas burners, fuel bottles, and more.
Who Are Kampa?
Kampa is a tent and awning company initially based in Essex, UK. The company was purchased by the Swedish-based caravan refrigerator company Dometic in 2018, and has markets across Europe and the Middle East. Their products are available in Germany, Denmark, the Netherlands, Poland, Norway, etc.
Kampa’s product selection primarily consists of tents and awnings. However, the company sells several other outdoor products and camping accessories as well.
Kampa’s tent and awnings are geared for large groups, such as families and friends. They pride themselves in producing family-friendly tents and awnings, making it possible for groups of loved ones to gather together in the great outdoors. With a slogan of “Together Outdoors,” they make their dedication toward their target audience painstakingly clear.
Whether you’re planning a getaway, hosting a get-together, or taking a trip with friends, Kampa’s products are primarily used for leisurely experiences, long-distance campers, and those traveling in groups.
They provide many family-style tents and awnings, which is appropriate because they were purchased by a company that caters to caravans, which generally involve a large group traveling together. Naturally, Kampa offers a host of camping and caravan accessories to help you get the most out of your camping vehicle.
What Do Kampa Do?
Kampa sells a variety of awnings, tents, camping furniture, outdoor kitchen supplies, caravan storage solutions, and various accessories for your caravan. They also sell additional camping and hiking supplies to aid you during your outdoor adventures.
Examples of some of their products are:
- Awnings: Kampa sells car awnings and six different types of campervan awnings. Their campervan awnings include:
- Touring: Standard drive-away awnings
- Cross air: Versatile shelters with high walls to maximize living space
- Cross air TG: A Cross Air awning that attaches to the rear tailgate to maximize living space
- Action: Flexible awnings for those on the go
- Trip: Quick shelter awnings that offer easy set-up and breakdown
- Sprint: Flexible and portable awnings for spur of the moment trips
- Tents: Kampa sells camping and car tents, with over six types of camping tents.
- Studland air: Inflatable 8-person tent designed for large groups or families that includes multiple bedrooms
- Croyde: Inflatable 6-person tent designed for large groups
- Hayling: Inflatable 4-6-person tents designed for groups
- Brean: Compact tent intended for small groups of 3-4 people
- Watergate: Poled tent intended for large groups of up to 8 people.
- Mersa: A lightweight, poled tent for 3-4 people.
- Brighton: Poled tents for quick trips with options that fit 2-5 people.
- Camping furniture: camping chairs, tables, beds, and sleeping bags.
- Outdoor kitchen supplies: Kampa is unique in offering five different types of field kitchens that you can set up anywhere and cook on the go. They also provide a slew of kitchen appliances such as kettles, portable toasters, ovens, pans, portable washbowls, and trash cans.
- Caravan storage solutions: Kampa also sells camping cupboards, wardrobes, and storage units to make life more comfortable on the road.
- Caravan accessories: camping toilets, tank treatments, towing equipment, steps, vehicle ramps, hot water systems, electric showers, summer and winter caravan covers, wheel covers, and a host of other cleaning supplies and accessories.
What Is the Difference Between Kampa & Vango?
The most significant difference between Kampa and Vargo lies in their target audiences and selection ranges. Vargo has a broader selection of products catering to a larger target audience, while Kampa generally only offers equipment for large families or groups camping together.
While Vango targets campers and outdoor enthusiasts of all types, such as the solo traveler, trekker, hiker, and outdoor novice, Kampa caters to large groups or families doing overnight trips, road trips, or extended camping trips.
Vango also prides itself in its sustainability efforts. They have launched several campaigns to minimize their carbon footprint by reducing waste, using recycled products, refurbishing equipment, and recycling any materials they can’t use.
Additionally, Vango has been at the forefront of creating cutting-edge technology in the camping world, and they have received multiple camping and outdoor awards.
Kampa relies on family values and coming together to fellowship in the outdoors. They aren’t as focused on sustainability measures and minimizing waste. Instead, they focus on the human interaction that takes place when people come together to spend time outside.
Kampa, whose name resembles the word camping, is a brand for campers. They cater primarily to people who own caravans or camping vehicles and those going on casual camping trips. Vango targets both campers and hikers, and their products are mainly intended for individual use.
For example, Vango sells several rucksacks so that individuals can take their necessities on the go. Kampa doesn’t offer rucksacks or anything comparable. Vango’s products will enable you to take shelter in even the toughest terrains, such as hiking mountains.
Additionally, they sell supplies for long treks through the wilderness. Kampa’s gear is best for flat land and open spaces, camping out at festivals, or other locations where the elements might not be as severe.
Kampa is a brand for those going on extended overnight stays, light camping trips, or road trips. In contrast, Vango is a good brand for individual or solo travelers and experienced campers who enjoy trekking, hiking, or camping in rugged terrain.
Vango has the equipment to help you “rough it,” so to speak, while Kampa offers products that will make your trip more comfortable. For those who want a more upscale and plush camping experience, Kampa has a lot of products to offer to make your trip feel more like home, especially if you’re in a vehicle.
For example, Kampa sells portable showers, water heaters, washing lines for your laundry, and washing bowls for your dishes. Kampa’s products are best if you’re going on a long road trip or camping out for several days or weeks. Kampa will make your experience feel more like you’re in a mobile home instead of outdoors.
Suppose you’re a frequent camper and own a camping vehicle. In that case, Kampa’s products will enhance your camping experience with items like outdoor kitchens, camping wardrobes, camping toilets, and more.
Which Is Better?
Vango is the overall better choice, as it offers a broader diversity of products that are better suited to withstand tougher weather conditions. However, if you’re a large group simply looking to make your camping experience more comfortable, Kampa might be the way to go.
Having said that, if you’re looking exclusively for caravan or camp vehicle products, there are numerous companies you could go to other than general outdoor camping supply stores.
Vango has several more options than Kampa regarding tents—over 100 of them—, and their website makes finding the right one easy. They have spectacular browsing features that allow you to filter tents by occupancy, fabric, pitching time, and range.
Although Kampa has an extensive selection of awnings, Vango offers about four times the number of awnings as Kampa. Vango boasts a diverse selection of filters on their website to help you select the right awning, including length, width, height, fabric, pitching time, and more.
Each person’s needs are different, and with Vango, you’re more likely to find what you’re looking for, especially as an individual. Even though Kampa offers a slew of campervan accessories, Vango also provides many of the same products (or more!).
Kampa lacks products designed for individuals or small groups. Given that Kampa is geared towards families gathering outdoors, most of their products are for groups or vehicle accessories designed to make life on the road easier.
Vango embraces the simplicity of the outdoors and offers the essentials you’ll need when camping and hiking. And although these products are cutting edge, they are designed with outdoor living in mind. For example, Vango offers a host of kitchen supplies and ovens to help you cook in the wilderness. However, they don’t provide a complete portable kitchen like Kampa.
Additionally, Vango is a company that is focused on sustainability and has made visible, ongoing efforts to help reduce its carbon footprint. They have launched programs that help eliminate waste by refurbishing outdoor gear and using recycled plastic to create new products.